Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Nativity Story (PG)
(story review)

Over all- I really liked it.

I know that in writing a review I put myself out on the line for others to review my views. But I will continue on anyhow.

After having diner with some of my close friends and wife we met up with some more friends at the theatre to watch The Nativity Story. We were thinking that the place would be filled up with people the way the Passion was so we ordered our tickets early that day to secure a seat. Our group was half of the viewing population that night in our showing room. The one beside us was just as empty. I have comments on this but I will save them for whoever asks me. Just as it always happens, the ads looped over and over as we felt smart answering all the questions like we had just seen them for the first time, and then the lights began to fade and I began to get excited. "What will I experience tonight, will it change my life?"

As I watched the story of the birth of Christ unfold (according to this movie), I was greatly pleased with the fine details of the culture and behaviors. I must say that it helped me to re-examine some of my preconceived American interpretations of how things happened. I feel that the movie stayed true to the story* and where scripture is silent I think they inserted much liberty based off of the times, norms, and culture.

*Many scholars and nonscholars (me) believe that the Magi came later on after the night of Jesus' birth. The movie portrays the popular view of the Magi showing up that night. Also we know there were three gifts, but we are not certain it was three wise men.

I put the picture of Joseph on this review because this movie reminded me of how much of a biblical model of manhood Joseph was. His place in scriptures is small in words but huge in character, faith, and boldness.

Well, I hope that my life has been changed by seeing this movie and thinking on scripture about Mary and Joseph and yes, JESUS. I hope that I will take this deeper understanding of God's great plan to save the world by using a "nobody" family to play a part in bringing His Son into the world. I hope that I will be a better husband because of this. I hope that I will see the magisty in my humble KING. I hope that I will be filled with boldness to always step out in faith because of promises like Mary and Joseph did.

Go see it.

There are a few scenes in which small children may not need to view. I would also, with the rating people, rate it PG and not G, pg-13 or R.

No comments: